© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Brixham and a good book.



We stayed for a few days on a site  between  Brixham and Dartmouth, 
and the Dartmouth to Paignton steam railway is a must visit.  Not only the joy and smell of travelling on a steam engine but there are fantastic views as it runs close to the sea.













Dartmouth's old shop.




The entrance to Dartmouth 



Like nmany seaside towns there are narrow streets



Brixham harbour.




and a plug for this book.  
I've read many books about long cycling trips and sometimes they can get a bit boring because basically you get up in the morning, get on the bike, ride, eat, sleep and do it all again tomorrow and the next day etc.  Not all the long distance riders are good authors as well as good cyclists, but  Mike is a journalist first and foremost so he knows how to put a story together and thats what he's done in this book.
There is very little detail about his bike and kit but he tells a good tale of his experiences as he cycles around the coast of Britain.  Its a great  read and flows well, so well that I finished it in four evenings.



11 comments:

  1. I'm going to look for that book. I like to read about things I can't do. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good enough reason Barbara, my reading list would be very long!!

      Delete
  2. The pictures are just beautiful and remind me so much of New England's coast. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its abeautiful coast line Kathy and we were lucky to have good weather.

      Delete
  3. It must have been awesome you read it fast! When I travel I see lots of folks on bikes and they are loaded with gear so I assume they are out there on a long distance journey, I always feel bad when I see them huffing and puffing up long steep grades. What a fun trip via train, that is def exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some cyclists who have cycled in the USA Sondra and unlike this country the distances between towns is huge so you have to be very well prepared. There's no stopping off at a shop in a couple of miles to get supplies.

      Delete
  4. Great photos again Dave, and a superb part of the world too, it really is lovely round there.
    I've read Mike Carter's book too, and can only echo what you say, it's a very well told tale of his trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mick the Canon Ixus is so handy to have in your pocket. Yes I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures, and how nice to find a book on a subject you love that pulls you in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave